Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Tisket a Tasket

When I participated in Cindy Needham's retreat at Richardson Springs, my name was drawn to pick a prize! I was delighted with the stack of 1900 reproduction fabrics in 4 inch squares. Here is what I came up with. I used a pattern from Tonye Belinda Phillips


Her book Hand-Appliqued Quilts is really a beauty! So much fun to look at and very easy to understand the techniques. The pattern that I was particularly drawn to is called Dozens of Baskets.
I fused the handle pattern to shirt tailor interfacing which is nice and pliable. Then I cut them out and sewed them to the light side of the half square triangle which is a beautiful fabric called Moda's Essentials. If you haven't tried shirt tailor to add substance to your machine applique, I highly suggest you give it a try. It is made by Pellon and can be found at JoAnn's.


I sewed the whole thing together, trimmed the corners and had my 36 baskets. I used a zig zag stitch and used Superior Threads Nature Colors for the top and Bottom Line for the bobbin which worked beautifully in Miss Bee Bernina.

I just love Miss Bee's sweet little hum as I stitched along. She is easy going and not one bit tempermental. I think I have found the perfect machine for me! Thank goodness!

I am happy with the basket blocks but I am still choosing border fabrics from the pile below.

I truly love cinnamon pink and browns. They are lovely and timeless as proven by fabric designs over 100 years old! When I get it done, I'll post it asap! I hear there's rain coming this weekend!! Hallelujah!

5 comments:

  1. What a great use for those little baskets. I have a bunch that I made years ago and I was looking for a great setting for them...hmm I think I might have just found it! thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Pammy, love this quilt. I even bought the book so I could try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam:
    You are so sweet to think of me. Blogger won't let me respond to your email, so hope this works.
    Elizabeth Scott, 6321 Tioga Pass Ct, Livermore, 94551.
    Thank you so much.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are terrific little baskets! I do like the colors too.

    I'm glad you are stitching away!

    Annie is doing great! Whew! She really is regaining her energy and wants to play a lot more now. She has one more treatment on Monday, but it will be minor in comparison to the others. (Thanks for asking)

    I hope your weekend is going great, are you getting rain too?

    Hugs, C

    ReplyDelete