Thursday, December 11, 2008

One More for the Road




I work in the Chico State Library and we have a long standing tradition (well over 30 years !) of baby quilts, wedding quilts, and now ultimately, retirement quilts. We have had many ways of coming up with the quilts...individual squares (a pain to put together as they usually are all wonky) and signature quilts and recently I offered to do the quilt for a wonderful person, Judy,
who is the administrative secretary. It was funny because I was told she really likes modern styles. I chose Mocha Meringe by Marcus Brothers for the fabric. Fun bold daisies and dupioni silk centers.

The cream fabric is a Robert Kaufmann solid that has beautiful flowers woven into the fabric. The quilting pattern really makes this quilt work. A large daisy that looks alot like the large flowers and the centers nice and round like the fabric stones on the back fabric. The strippy border just sets off the whole thing.

I made a muslin square with a silk heart to have everyone sign, and attached it to the back corner.
She loved it! I was so happy--and relieved. Thanks to dear Lizzie for the binding.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like the perfect quilt to curl up under to read a good book... perfect retirement gift! The soft colors are lovely...

    I really like that backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should check my older posts from time to time in case new friends show up. Thanks for stopping by my blog! And I'm happy to have a new quilt blog to visit. Books and quilts -- what could be better indeed!

    ReplyDelete