Monday, October 5, 2009

School Days

Well gals, today I taught my first quilting class! Once I got everyone to sit down (okay I never got everyone to actually stay put) we got rolling on our Liberated Baskets from the wonderful book Freddy and Gwen Collaborate Again.



No matchy matchy for these gals. The scraps and strips were piled high and the talented (although quite feisty) quilters from Morning Star, rose to the challenge of letting handles lean a little and seams go a little wonky. Call me crazy but this is my kinda sewing.
Sheets of newsprint became our basket block foundations.We used the humble bias strip for basket handles done in the way Gwen teaches with the easy as pie method of stitching a big old running stitch right down the center of the folded bias. Your edges are finished and once you stitch them down you have a darn nice handle. Take a peek!

A big big thank you to Ann for providing a most excellent Parts Department. Streamers of half square triangles, dozens of 4 patch square in a square blocks, piano keys by the handful, all waiting to become sashing and borders someday. And last but not least, to Jen, Debi and Colleen for waiting on us hand and foot with fabric delivered table side no less! Thank you for making this a wonderful day everyone. And thank you Gwenny for the inspiration! xo Pam

8 comments:

  1. Pammy,

    Looks like it was a great day!

    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great class you did fantastic! the baskets are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the one in your header, isn't it? Great baskets! How large are they? Wish I could've been there! Looks like a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful class... and no surprise to see the huge smiles on everyone's faces. Love the liberated baskets, too cute!

    PS... I've got you down for i-n-o burgers! Bring a pillow and jammies... let's make it a slumber party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh so COOL! What a bunch of great baskets too! I especially like the polka-dot handles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. Wish I could have been there. And, who stole my thunder with the black and white polkas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bottom blocks- the colours are wonderful.

    Sounds as if you had great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam! I really need to pay more attention to the class schedules. . .geez! I can't believe I missed your class. I love wonky~it looks like you all had fun!

    ReplyDelete