Monday, April 26, 2010

Batik Butter Cake

It been awhile since I made a wedding quilt. One of my students in the library is getting married in June and she has been with our department all of her four years of college. She has grown up and found a wonderful guy...when she started planning her wedding, she wanted "watermelon" and "turquoise" for her colors with a modern theme. I chose this wonderful pattern that is easy and I think somewhat modern looking by Cozy Patterns Cake Therapy called Butter Cake. It's a fun one to make and I cut my own 10 inch squares of various batiks. The corners are a piece from my stash that is a batik with a heart ever so subtly sprinkled around. Ahhhh.... The two dark pieces in the middle seemed to work nicely and I put in a couple more for interest. I almost skipped the first turquoise border near the piecing due to laziness, but I'm glad I didn't as I think it really looks nice floating out the piecing.

That being decided, I bought these fabrics at Morning Star and began their quilt. I found out last week the colors are now yellow and gray and "vintage" is now the theme. Well, I thought about keeping this one and making a new one, but hey, by June the colors could be red and white with a patriotic theme, so I'll just stay with this one and wish them love and cozy snuggles. Speaking of Butter Cake, did I mention she is making her wedding cupcakes? 200 of them with tiny flowers and bees on top. Gotta love that young spirit. And I might mention, I did the quilting on this quilt on Miss Meader...free motion, four hours. I think the cupcakes will take much longer to do!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely!
    I agree, cupcakes will take longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love the color choices. Best wishes to the bride :-)
    And I want to go to that store..MSQ looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great wedding gift Pam! I've no doubt she'll love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's super cute! She'll love it! Student Assistants are the best. . .it's so funny how we become so attached to them. . .our children by proxy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Love the pattern and fabrics. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice quilt, Pam, and I think these colors are much cheerier than yellow and grey would be. We just are done with two family weddings in as many months, including our daughter's, and are looking forward to getting back to normal.

    ReplyDelete