Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Applique the Tonye Way

Several years ago, I attended the Stitchin' Post's in Sisters, Oregon classes the week before the big outdoor quilt show. During that week the little community known as Camp Sherman had their quilt show the day before. Tonye Belinda Phillips who lives in the Camp Sherman which is just 15 miles from Sisters, had just published her first book,
Hand Appliqued Quilts, Whimsical Designs & Simple Techniques and her quilts lined the walls of the little loft in the community hall. I knew this special person had to visit Chico someday and share her cheerful, beautiful quilts with us. And this past weekend, she did! First a trunk show and lecture at Annie's Star Quilt Guild. You can see the size of this beautiful fruit basket next to Tonye.
Not only are her quilts rich with craftsmanship and sweetness of color and design, she is a wonderful happy person and a very good teacher as well. So this past week she finally made it to Chico. Houses, Birds, Baskets, Watering Cans, Flowers, all of these elements are part of her designs. But somehow these modest motifs become fresh and fun with Tonye's eye for color and shape. Really. She makes a gal want to applique. Even me, the gal that thought she never really would! Don't look too closely at those points just yet...but I am trying!

Another really fun thing happened during her visit. Tracey a wonderful mother, wife, and fellow blogger that lives nearby to Chico was able to join us to sew with Tonye.

Go check out Tracey's blog asap! She is currently featured on the Moda Bake Shop!

Funny thing about blogging, I was at Honey Run one afternoon and looked across the cutting table at this young woman who was helping a friend pick out fabric. She had an adorable little baby boy with her. I just couldn't put my finger on how I knew them. Chico can be like that. Light bulb moment: Are you Tracey? Is that Steiger? Oh how fun! The bloggers meet!

Real life sewing. Woohoo!



7 comments:

  1. What a great story! Love seeing the applique also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely applique quilts! I must look up the book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a fun day! Thank you again for inviting me. :)

    (and the stars look good lady!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it was a lot of fun. I think I could be talked into dumping my lite steam-a-seam 2 for the real thing. I love the softness of the hand-appliques pieces. And Tonye was a wonderful teacher. Lots of fun. Now to finish the project that I had no business starting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a two day class with Tonye and loved every minute of it!!
    I'm glad you got to enjoy her again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like lots of fun! I saw the story at Traceyjay but ended up wrapping around to your site from Mrsmcporkchp. You guys are giving me lots of ideas of where to go next time I am home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun story! I love the colorful charming quilts!!!

    ReplyDelete