Saturday, April 23, 2011

Work: It's Not for Sissies

I probably wouldn't have bothered to say anything about how tough work has been these past few weeks except, well, maybe that's why I haven't finished any sewing projects (that and Mercury in retrograde. I guess that really messes with us Virgos) but I digress. I have worked at my current job for 30, count 'em 30 years. In that time, we have seen many changes in library practices. Digital everything. Google searches instead of students asking for help from librarians. And in my particular job which deals almost completely with historical images, books, and manuscripts, we have been truly blessed because with the new technology we can share what we have painstakingly taken care of for all these years by scanning photos, books, documents and indexes. It's awesome. In my time at Chico State I have probably cataloged nearly 20 or 25 thousand images. I kid you not. I know the historical families and their faces in this area like I was a distant relative. It's wonderful and kind of creepy all at the same time.

Still, I digress. Lately, there has been a change looming in our department to adapt a new numbering system to these resources. Having worked there all these years, I know the inherent difficulties with this idea. And I must say, I let it be known that I would not be a part of it. I even had the audacity to ask who's permission in the food chain had been given to allow this to happen. answer? None. Because I Said So. You Will Do It. It's Your Job.
Pam Bush - Photograph Curator 530.898-4308 pbush@csuchico.edu

I have always said, choose your battles carefully. Well this is mine. Some things cannot change just because a new idea gets hatched. I refused to use the new system. Now you may thing wow, Pam is so getting old and set in her ways. Get with the new. Out with the old. But gals, the old isn't broken. Don't Fix it. So this past week, losing sleep and talking my dear husband's ears right off his head, I was feeling so defeated. I made the appointment for applying for my retirement. I mentally started cleaning out my desk. How one thing can rock your world and tell you, hey, maybe I've given it my best and it's time to let someone else take over.

Then of all things, I asked for another meeting to plead my case again. I don't go away quietly. And as Mercury moved out of retrograde, and my retirement calculation was being figured out in Sacramento, my boss came to my door and told me that yes, indeed. The numbering system would stay after all. And then this morning, look at what the funnies had to say:


Sometimes the planets just line up in your favor. That pile of unfinished quilts is about to start having fun.

6 comments:

  1. Boy, can I identify with you. I worked for 15 years at the public library. I changed with the times and even accepted self-check out, but what do you tell your long-time customers who want to chat with you because you are friends! I finally retired about 18 months ago. I still put up the quilt of the month display, but am much happier. I have also become the definitive expert on our local history in the burough where I live - started in 1700's. Enjoy retirement while you still have your health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for sticking to your guns! Goota love Dilbert too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend at work always said that "you'll just know when it's time to retire." Boy, howdy, I sure did and I didn't look back!!!! Look forward to being busier - but happier - than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an Alumni,I would like to say thanks for your years of service... And congrats on your decision to retire... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! More time to quilt and have fun, right?

    ReplyDelete