Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I have a Material Obsession!


Well gals it has been a wonderful week. I went to Sisters and took classes from Kathy Doughty from Material Obsession in Sydney. The woman is not only a fabulous color maven, design guru, but a really good teacher. And that means a lot. Trust me. And as class started, we had a visit from Freddy Moran. A Red Centre all on her own! What an extra treat to see her! The day just got better and better when Lori from Humble Quilts (my fav!) made an extra special trip to Sisters to meet up with me and of course to meet Kathy! Well what a treat that was! Lori is a bubbly happy lady! What a great moment it was! I really wished I could have spent hours with her and had her in class too. Maybe next year?? Let's hope so! Lori brought me a darling "humble" red white and blue pin wool cushion that is already in use. Thank you so so much Lori!

Lori, Kathy, Library Gal!


Here is Red Centre a pattern Kathy designed that really lends itself to scrapiness and is a great way to begin to see color as it works it's magic in hue and scale.

I have always loved the way Kathy puts great big ol prints in quilts in small pieces. Changes the entire way the fabric looks. And we all have scraps of those don't we? Then the way she worked with each of us to make our bundle of colors turn the wheel.

Crazy good. And we even went shopping with Kathy (okay you know I loved this!) as the Sisters Quilters Affair classes have a small but fabulous store in the lobby. We found some extra reds for my Red Centre as I was making it all out of my stash. Stash my eye. I have a small fabric shop myself in that closet! Anyway, the mood was fun and we all were very happy with our results. Kathy spent alot of time working the more difficult combos. She sat down and made it happen. She gave encouragement. She gave it her all. She shared her quilts, her humor, skill, and stories. Thank you for a wonderful day Kathy!

More fun to come blogging friends. And perhaps a giveaway in your future! xo Pam



7 comments:

  1. This is going to be a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Kathy's post in this class, it looks like a good one! Lori is a doll, I met up with her for a few mintues in NYC. Glad you enjoyed your time in Sisters, it really is an amazing town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear all about your fun trip! Lizzie Sounds like a wonderful class. you lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic time- we all need those wonderful quilt experiences that make us feel warm and fill that creative spirit in us all.
    Thanks for sharing your Sister's experience. It looks like fun was had by all.
    Your quilt will be stunning.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved being a part of your class virtually! It looks fantastic!!

    I was just editing some photos and was going to post the one with you, Kathy and me! Too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Material Obsession Girls are truly gifted for special patterns and unusual quilts, yes I love them more and more.
    Have a good time finishing this one!
    Katell, France

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post. I have put Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show on my bucket list LOL! Looks like you had a great time. And I love the red and white quilt.

    ReplyDelete