Friday, August 5, 2011

Soul Searching with Material Obsession!




Another class I took at Sisters this year was also taught by Kathy Doughty. It has come to be known as "soul searching" aka looking through your stash and finding your color strengths and weaknesses. It was a great class although the before class prep was a bit daunting. We were to pull 9 color groups from our stash and have a strong set of neutrals to go with it all. I keep my fabrics in collections mostly. So the idea of pulling from them kind of set me on edge until I started. My sewing room looked like a bomb had gone off. But in the end, I had 9 or even 10 sets of beautiful and diverse fabrics to dive into at class. Here is a start of what I did. I began with my purples because they are easiest for me to go to. Greens? Not as much. That was my second set. A challenge of sorts for me. So with a satchel full of 2 1/2 inch strips off to class I went. Cool thing was, we even had a nifty ruler to use to build our blocks. Kathy sells it through the Stitchin Post and through Material Obsessions website if you are interested. It easily lets you cut 2 1/2, 4 1/2, etc so your block builds like magic in no time. I have my yellows, browns, oranges, pinks, blues, blacks, and reds still to cut and arrange. Interestingly, the first one was a challenge but as you get going it gets easier and you feel more confident in your placement and choices. Kathy is just very good at helping too.

Here is Kathy's Quilt during the Sister's Outdoor Quilt Show at the Teacher's Tent. I was happy to have Mike snap my photo in front of it too.

4 comments:

  1. What were you searching your soul for?
    Fun quilt and colors.
    I love the shirt in the last photo. Looks like Kaffe fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, colorful fun! Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! Enjoyed your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, I enjoyed this post. What a great method to learn at the hand of a welknown teacher. What is the name of the ruler that you liked from this class? Jg

    ReplyDelete