Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Love We Share While Here


A note to tell you all friends, (my gals) that my dear Dad passed away Friday morning. It was a very peaceful ending to a good life. Raised on a farm in Glenwood, Iowa, Dad and his 3 brothers worked hard for their folks, played in Pony Crick (that's how they say it there), walked those miles to school, were poor as could be but happy in the simple life. I played alot of country music for Dad those last days even though I couldn't talk to him anymore, I know he could hear it. His favorite song was Storms Never Last by Jesse Coulter and Waylon Jennings. He also loved Allison Kraus and called her voice as close to perfect as anyone could get.

Hard working, loyal, and gentle, and honest. He could be stubborn as a mule and you always knew what he thought about things whether you wanted to or not, but that was Carl. The Navy was good to him and he was always proud to have been a veteran of WWII. He was employed as a painter for Ford Motor Company and was known for his detailed perfect work. When he trained as a cabinet maker after retirement, his motto was "I'll always fight for a 1/16th". As quilters we know how tough even the 1/4ths can be!

He was proud of my quilting. He told me so many times and that made me so happy. His mother Clara quilted all her life from scraps and clothing from her family. He told me the story of the ladies on Pony Crick and how they all had quilting frames made by their husbands that lifted up and out of the way until it was their day to have the bee. There is a Butterfly Quilt in the Herman Family made by my grandmother with names of friends and family scattered throughout, and there are squares in it done by my Dad and his brothers. My cousin Ann brought it to show us two years ago on a visit to Chico. Here is Dad's square...done at age 8. It's about the most precious thing I can imagine boys doing for their Mom.


So the words to the song Just a Country Boy bring me joy and tears today.

Never could afford a store bought ring
With a sparklin' diamond stone
All you could afford is a loving heart
The only one you own

You're just a country boy
Money have you none
But you've got silver
In the stars
Gold in the morning sun
Gold in the morning sun

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Pam what nice note about your Dad. Good job. Thinking about you and yours. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute to someone that must have been a great dad. My thoughts are with you today, blessings to you and your family at this time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your dad, Pam. Thinking of you and your family today. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m so sorry to hear that your dad passed away. Blessings to you and your family !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your Dad. There is a special bond between Dad's and daughters. I'm glad you got to spend the last time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad! What a wonderful life he had and you highlighted it well. To know your father is proud of you - that's a wonderful thing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pammy, Good to see you today. What lovely memories. Carl was a great guy. I hold fond memories of the times we enjoyed together. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful post for no doubt a wonderful man...
    Godspeed continued peace to your family

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful man and a great father.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear of your loss of your Dad. You wrote a lovely tribute. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Pam, I am so so very sorry for your loss. Your post was very sweet. Your dad would be happy.
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete