Friday, February 22, 2013

Quilty February!



This month has been full of quilting with several group sew days and some vacation days to sew sew sew! It has been productive and messy. I made a birthday quilt for my daughter Paloma. The panel and accompanying fabric was "Flirt" by Moda. So cute! I adapted the pattern from the Threaded Pear called Charming Baby Log Cabin to make it, just adjusting the center to fit in the panel. 


 It was also time to learn to do a scalloped binding. The tutorial at the Missouri Quilt Company is really what made me jump in and go for it. I just love that gal!


I busted out my Swoon quilt blocks and good grief. If I ever sew one of them together correctly I am going to be promoted to something or other. I have 2 more to go. Then I am having a Swoon Party. And I am not kidding!  

My Pam Kitty Morning granny squares are just the opposite. Easy Peasy and so much fun. I have been slowly getting this quilt together. I added the PKM  panel kitties and picked the sashing in periwinkle. I am adding black and white bias to the outer border with some white rick rack. Hoping to finish it up this weekend and start another scalloped binding on an outer border of the white tossed flowers I used for the granny squares.



 I spent 2 full days on my next Soul Searching Quilt. I started a small sampler one in Sisters with Kathy Doughty in 2011. I now am happy to report that I have all 9 colorways picked out. It's not so simple. I literally went through my entire stash to make that happen. Fabric I never thought I wanted to even cut is included in some of the blocks. It was time. You can't keep it forever and after all, it's for a quilt, right? So here we go.  This is how I start, then start cutting up and moving around the strips. I know it looks easy. Trust me it is intense!

  
 Here are several of them. They don't have their "neutrals" yet, but that will be another 2 days of decisions. It's funny, once you have really dug through your stash in a meaningful way, you do get a good sense of what you love. It's Soul Searching in color and pattern. Fun Times!I highly recommend doing this quilt and I know when it is all done, it will be a glimpse of my stash in time and space.




Here is Kathy with her original version. And speaking of Kathy, please send up a prayer for this dear woman as she has shared through her blog that she has been found to have breast cancer. My heart goes out to her and her family and staff at Material Obsession. I hope with all my heart she heals swiftly and completely!

Have a good weekend, gals. xo




7 comments:

  1. You have been one busy lady with the best projects!!
    It's funny because Kathy's quilt does not look like it would be difficult to make it work. Must be one of those classes you just have to attend.
    She was suppose to be teaching this summer in Sisters. I was so sad to read her blog. She is strong and has such a wonderful support system. I'm sure that will make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your projects. I have made several of the log cabin quilts from that same pattern. Yours is darling. And I am so in love with your PKM granny squares. I fell in love with PKM but have never done anything with it. Yours is so, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy and it all looks sew beautiful!
    I love scallops but don't do them often enough. They add a feminine cuteness to almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've not wasted one minute of this shortest month! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You're working on some gorgeous stuff there. All really fun projects. Don't you just love the process? Your soul searching project sounds like so much fun -- something I really should be doing with my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You're working on some gorgeous stuff there. All really fun projects. Don't you just love the process? Your soul searching project sounds like so much fun -- something I really should be doing with my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charming Baby Log Cabin is one of my favorite patterns and you so cleverly paired it with one of my most favorite collections! Flirt! :-)

    ReplyDelete