Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Patchwork, Please! Yes, Indeed!


We are having such windy weather in Northern California. Even those of us without allergies are having them this year! So, I stayed inside and got to work on my first project with the lovely new book by Ayumi of Pink Penguin. It is a charming book just like the lovely gal herself! I chose the pincushion because it just looked so adorable  Am I right?There is a group sewalong here  where you can see projects others are making.

Patchwork, Please!

I thought I'd show you the components and tools I used. Just in case you have allergies also and need the visuals :)

You will have 4 little paper pieced squares, the four rectangle sides and a bottom piece. Sew the squares together to make a square and sew the 4 rectangles together to make a "ring". It truly all does come together. Trust me here!








 Measure your corner 1/4 inch like this. It will help everything square up.


 Now sew right up to that seam of the rectangles being careful not to sew over the vertical seam. If you do, it won't look right.


When you have gone all the way around with the process above, your little top will look like this. Now it's time to sew on the bottom. Exactly like you did the top. This time, leave open a middle part of one rectangle side so you can stuff it. I find it's easier than leaving a section open near an end.
Almost there! Now stitch on the bottom

Before turning

I use a natural cotton stuffing


Ayumi used a covered button and that looks so finished and nice. I used a cute little pink button. I sewed it on with a 18 chenille needle and some perle cotton in orange. 
Ta Da!
 I also wanted to share an idea for making your little foundation pieces. I photocopied the image from the book and then purchased kid's doodle paper at Michaels. I gently ripped the pages out and fanned them so they didn't stick together. They went through the copy machine perfectly. I like how easy it is to remove newsprint when the sewing is complete. Also, I made a clear little template for the fussy cutting on such small little details like the CoCo land and kitty below.


Another easy way to make sure your whole square is fussy cut is with the Quilt in a Day fussy cut ruler/template. It is an exact 2 1/2 inch square. (Sneak preview of my next pincushion) !!




So after much to do, here is my finished little pinnie! I hope you pick up this book. It is a delight!




6 comments:

  1. This is such a helpful post! Thank you for sharing your tips on making this pincushion! Yours turned out so cute! Love the way you fussy cut the cats so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, love the fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! That is so cute!!
    Husbands allergies have been raging too! I'm staying in for him:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Pam, I just clicked across from your email. I love your blog post - you have been so helpful to others in sewing this gorgeous pincushion together! I love that little corner-quarter-inch gadget, I think I need one - AND that tiny little 2.5 inch square! - I have never seen that before.

    Your fussy-cutting is so cute - I love that cat fabric!

    Our house is a mix of books and sewing too - the perfect mix. Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite pin cushion is the one my little cousin made me. It's a pincushion lid on a mason jar full of buttons. :)
    peachstateme (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I can't wait to make everything in your book.

    ReplyDelete