Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Thread AND Glitter


Here we are in April and I have some fun things to show you that were happily worked on in...March. I had a great few days with Sue Spargo in the beginning of March. She came to our guild and showed her lovely wool folk art quilts. Then it was a great two days with her learning stitches I had admired but way shy to try out. Sue is a patient and fun teacher. It is a bit mesmerizing to watch her work her magic on wool with wool thread and lovely cotton threads. She even stitched left handed for me and others that needed that essential information. I was so happy the weather in Chico was perfect for her visit. Lovely camellias and blooming trees and shrubs were bursting with color.
My homework for Leaf Play
Sue tells us about Robin Runs the Hedge
Lots of thread to choose from!
Love this background composition too
Sue shows us patiently how to make a bullion stitch

Look at all of these lovely motifs and stitches. I have been working along on mine as time allows. It is truly a quiet and soothing activity to sew on wool. I have like appliqué as I have gotten a bit better at it, but wool is very forgiving and amazingly appealing. 

Learning how to make those stitches
incredible detail 
Sue's trademark bird
Pam and Sue stitched left and right


A long awaited 5 day trip with my friend Debbie found us in Nevada City, a small community full of gingerbread turn of the century houses and the one we stayed in kept us happy and sewing for hours and hours.

Lovely place to quilt, huh?
 We found a little time to meet up with friends and do a little wine tasting too. It just so happened to be St. Paddy's Day so we were quite merry!
Sue Debbie Pam and Lesa had a little vino
 We hauled so much stuff with us and even with that, we headed to a wonderful local quilt shop to get a few more pieces of fabric to finish our projects. The Sugar Pine Quilt Shop in Grass Valley had a great variety of styles. From Kaffe to Civil War some of everything packed the little shop. Happy Quilters always find more things to add to their stash, and we were quite happy!  This trip was about finishing up projects. We happen to have no shortage of UFOs between us, another quality of Happy Quilters :)

Debbie's Owls with the help of Sugar Pine Quilt Shop! 
Another block exchange of old...done!
A "vintage" HRQ Block of the Month done!
A couple more pieces of Soul Searching done
Finished Peels top with an unexpected border
An unexpected treat came on a walk down to the Nevada City businesses that line the picturesque townscape. I saw the words "Glitter Girl" and that was it. My Favorite Things was calling and In we went and stayed and stayed. Tina Haller was so welcoming and fun.
Come on in to My Favorite Things in Nevada City!

The talented and sweet Tina Haller
 Her little shop is a must for anyone that loves paper and vintage paper and well, glitter. She has a good selection of gift items that are just as endearing as the supplies of shiny girl stuff she stocks. One of the even more exciting aspects of My Favorite Things is the workshop space in the back. A tiny building with glorious examples of little creations of houses, nests, and every imaginable holiday theme. For a modest fee you can sit to your heart's content and craft with all of her tools.

My Favorite Things Shop and Glitter Girl Studio 
A little project in the making

Darling displays at My Favorite Things

As a library gal, I noticed a book I had purchased years ago for my own daughter when she was about 13. "Pretty Good for a Girl" was prominently displayed in the shop. I mentioned that I had given the book to my daughter a long time ago..."Did I sign it?"  I was so surprised to find that this friendly and creative wife and mom was one of the very first snowboarding gals and was very successful in the "new sport" that was fun, edgy and pretty wild.

Tina's autobiography of Snowboard Gal Pioneer!
I also have been stitching away on my Juniper and Mistletoe BOM. But that story can wait for an upcoming post!


5 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous place! And beautiful quilts! So special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you've had quite an eventful spring! id love to work with Sue Spargo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam,, that looks like such a great time with girlfriends! That's always nice to r & r and get rejuvenated...and have FUN!! Love the photo of you 4 under the winery sign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great place to get away to. I lived in Grass Valley OR and everyone always would think CA. Time away with GF's is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CUANTAS LABORES HERMOSAS.
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete