Sunday, October 27, 2013

Post (card) from Firenze!



Happy Weekend, gals! As I went through my photos to show you Florence, I realized I was focused on certain things. Images of women, circles, and food. Sounds good to me! We first visited Basilica Santa Croce where Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Dante, Marconi, and many other icons of the golden age of the renaissance are entombed. It was astounding really. 
Galileo

Notice the planets circling the sun!
The tomb of Michelangelo.
 I was in awe of the sculpture, conveying both grief and beauty.






I also found many circular images that day for some reason!

Deruta embellishment
Look at that striped detail!
Incredible dome interior of walkway from Santa Croce

View from the stairway in the Duomo
Duomo interior ceiling.
Duomo floor tile


 I spent my 60th Birthday in Florence! We had dinner at a restaurant chosen by our tour captain and met all of our expectations and more. Florence is known for it's steak. We had platters of it and bowls of delicious Italian classics...spinach and pine nuts, white beans and garlic, duck pate, cheese souffle, and then the dinner itself. Porcini mushroom tagliatelle pasta. And a lovely birthday toast and dessert with our new traveling friends.


Birthday Dinner!
cheese souffle appetizer with pesto

homemade tagliatelle

Florentine Steak

Birthday Wishes!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! It is so beautiful and I cannot imagine how much more wonderful it is in person! Happy belated birthday! I have a really hard time believing it was your 60th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't make it to Florence and it sure looks like we missed a lot! Glad you had such a fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete