Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Sweetheart of a Month!

Starting the month out right with giant cookies

February is such a sweet month at our house. It's heart filled and that means lots of cheerful red and pink and it's also our daughter Paloma's birthday.
Make a Wish!
 A big one this year as she turned 30 ! We made a trip out of it and went to San Francisco for a couple days. We took in the new Georgia O'keeffe exhibit at the DeYoung Museum on Valentine's Day and the Chinese New Year was also in full swing on Saturday night as we walked through Chinatown on the way to North Beach for dinner. wow! The fireworks were amazing and loud! Cheerful all the way though and energizing!

My sweetheart on Valentine's Day


Union Square Chinese New Year

Michael and Paloma at the Sir Frances Drake

The Little Man and his Mama! Happy Birthday!
The Cake with fresh Violets!

And there has been some sewing going on too. I made a cute little mini quilt for a friend that was retiring from the library. We often make a big quilt for friends as they leave the world of books behind but this time we had little notice and so this size gift was perfect.
As a quick method (for me at least) I made all the hearts with the "do-sew" technique. Have you used this technique before? Do-Sew is an interfacing and/or tracing material. It is simple enough but I am sure excellent needle turn appliquers would cringe at the prep! Let me give you a quick run down of the steps in case you'd like to give it a try.

First, cut a piece of lightweight interfacing (I actually use "Do-Sew" from this catalog) and put the right side of your fabric against it. trace a heart onto it from a template and then using a very small stitch, carefully sew all around the drawn line.
Everything you Need

Point turner, small scissors, template and Do-Sew

Now when you have finished sewing you have to "turn" the heart inside out. Ahhh. It doesn't hurt as bad as it looks!
Cut a slit into the Do-Sew and then carefully begin turning the heart inside out.
This is a heart. Trust me!
Getting better

almost there!
Ta Da!
And finally you have your hearts all turned, carefully finger pressed and a little touch of the iron and ready to hand stitch down. I used some nice creamy neutrals from my stash and after individually sewing down each heart, I stitched them together in a mini quilt format. I stitched in the ditch between squares, and put on a little binding and a sleeve. I had a tabletop quilt frame from Connecting Threads that worked out great!
Twelve Hearts for Susie


Thanks for stopping by, and hope your month was filled with happiness and hearts xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been having fun! I love your little heart quilt and think I may try to find some of that Do Sew for our next group project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun update, cookies, birthdays and sewing. I think the do sew method totally has merit, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it was a beautiful month. I need to get down to San Fransico and check out the DeYoung.
    Cute quilt and sew quick! What a great gift no matter its size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little heart quilt is lovely and I'm sure it will be treasured.
    What a fun night out on the town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet times and a sweet gift. Love the frame. That do sew is a great way to go! Worked out perfect!

    ReplyDelete