Thursday, December 4, 2014

Swoon TWO WooHoo!

Gals, I have been having a great Fall and have been sewing and puttering around the sewing room as much as I am able with working and the holidays. Sewing and quilting and well I have to admit it, fabric purchasing is really just the best therapy for a happy life especially when you add in a sweet husband, two lovely daughters and a little grandson. Thanksgiving was super nice at our house and we gathered under the Ginko Tree for a photo to share.


The big news is I am retiring April 1st! It is in the works at lleast,  as the State of California likes you to give them 90 days notice. I believe that the lst of April is just the perfect day to start the rest of my life, and I don't think it's foolish at all! Special Collections has been a dream job most days and I'll miss the treasures of rare books, photographs and the wonderful people I have met. But life does go on!

In Sewing News, my small group The Material Girls always do a blocks for someone's BIG birthday and mine happened to be number 6-0. They must have wondered what I was up to with a block that was 22 inches in diameter. They were really good sports to do me such an honor!
my Material Girls ca 2012
. It is as you know the second Swoon in my life as I made one that tested my patience awhile back :) This one was so much easier. I chose Anna Maria Horner prints for the focus fabrics and prints from V. and Company and Thimbleblossoms for the secondary prints. The background is called Platinum Quilter's Canvas by Michael Miller. I used the most beautiful Anna Maria Horner voile for the back! Be still my heart the quilt is so beautiful!

Swoon Two !!
In process!

beautiful patterns!

look at the Bees in the inner triangles

pea pods!

Look at that backing! 

And LOOK at the gorgeous quilting by the talented Jo of Moonbear Quilting in Chico. We chose the beautiful "viking" violet thread by Glide and it sure sings on that platinum background as well as blends nicely with the other fabrics. I think this quilt actually glows! Look at those colors! My humble thanks to the lovely fabric designers and of course Miss Swoon herself!

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog today through Quilting Blogs.com. I learned from you more about good color placement for the Swoon quilt, where to put the busier versus less busy fabrics. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Pam! Great family photos of both families. The big April news! Yea!!! Sharing the evolution from your first to the second Swoon. Yes, your color placement and fabric choices are absolutely divine! It's been a pleasure to be part of the journey, congratulations and thank you! Bear hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retirement is so wonderful, the day goes so fast. Best is Sunday night because you don't have to go to work Monday morning, enjoy your cup of coffee or tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The quilt is beautiful and so are you! What a great family photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. exciting news!!! so thrilled for you! love all the photos and projects love your happy family shot! (and I can't believe you're 60! you look way too young! i am 60 also!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it is exciting news! I know we thought our parents were old at 60 and now here we are! Looking forward to some happy times sewing and just chilling out!

      Delete