Monday, March 21, 2016

Jelly Roll Potholders

Good Morning! I am going on a short trip by car and my husband luckily does the driving. The traffic in the Bay Area is not my cup of tea. So, I always want a little binding project to keep me busy and not focusing on the hundreds of cars going way too fast.

 This time I decided to open up a jelly roll and make a few potholders. I have been making them for a few years now with the method shown here. This time I decided it was possible to sort the entire line of Mon Ami by Basic Grey for Moda into colorways and start there.

 I use QuiltSmart fusible 2 inch interfacing (the kind people use for those watercolor type quilts) and cut my strips down to 2 inches. I even fussy cut the adorable little kitties, words, and houses from the strips.
2 inch squares from a jelly roll strip
Next I arrange all the cute little squares onto the QuiltSmart and using a pressing cloth, iron them into place.
Now you just crease your QuiltSmart from the backside first going down each "seam" and then when that is finished press a bit and go the opposite direction. Your little squares are perfectly matched at each corner and your center for your potholder is done.
Sew down the seams
Sew across the seams

Perfect little matching squares
Now all you need is a border and the front of your potholder will be done. I used 2 inch strips and then cut them down to about 1 1/2 inches once I have sewn the onto the center.


Now I use a 9 1/2 inch square of Insu-Bright batting for the inside of the potholder and a 9 1/2 inch square of coordinating fabric for the reverse of the piece. I use Sulky KK 2000 for a nice little secure sandwich before I stitch in the ditch and around the outside of the little squares. I also do some vertical and horizonal stitched lines to make it more firm. Sometimes I do a little decorative stitching in the borders to keep it all flat. I trim the whole square now by cutting down each side border to 1 1/2 inch. This is easy and the oversized batting and backing are now all flush.

 Then I add a little binding. I have found doing these that a 2 1/4 inch binding is pretty cute. Lots of people like 2 1/2 inch though, so it is up to you. I use the nice little binding tool called the Mini Binding Tool to do my invisible binding match up.

So here is a photo of all my pieces and tools.
 I hope you enjoy these and email me if you have any questions. I will be in the passenger seat so I can get right back at ya!

Future Potholder Gifts

3 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! I use the Insu-bright batting, too. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! I hope to encourage our guild to make these for our store at the next guild quilt show 😉 nice to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I quilter made me two that are similar to yours and I use them ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete